Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Countdown

Like many other families the countdown and chocolate eating has begun at Number 38.
I read in school this morning. Then I came home and finished sewing my final Christmas cushion.
Lunch today was a baked potato with cottage cheese and pineapple in the garden centre with the Vicar. I've not been to church for months, but we try to get together for a catch up every so often. We went out as friends but she wears her dog collar wherever she goes and it always makes me smile how people react to this. Vicars musn't be seen out in public very often if the amount of people who kept looking our way is anything to go by. 

We do a family Secret Santa every year and I picked Thomas' name out of the pile this time. When I spotted this blow dart set I knew it would be right up his street. We do SS with Mum and open the presents on Christmas Eve. Then we have an hour or two of games and quizzes. It helps pass the time and is good fun. Mum organises a couple of things so I can join in and we pinch ideas from the old fashioned TV shows like play your cards right, catchphrase and the Generation Game. Mark is a good sport and we set him up as the stooge for things going wrong which Thomas finds hilarious. 
I also picked up this throw for the settee. I spent a good 10 minutes strategically placing it in position, trying to create the casual but artistically draped look for the back of the settee. Thomas came in, stroked it, took a liking to it and has had it wrapped around him all night. He's not even mentioned the label. I might have to buy another one.
Me and Thomas had dental appointments this afternoon. Unfortunately, he has to have a filling in the New Year. We had the choice of our dentist doing it or him going to hospital. He chose our dentist. I'm glad because she knows what he can be like and he'll be worked up enough about having it done without the added stress of a strange place. 

For the time being though we're both putting it to the back of our minds. No doubt we'll be counting that down from 1st January and it's not until 21st!

xxx














6 comments:

  1. It is an endless round of chocolate from now until Christmas, isn't it? And the cushions look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed. I'm going to treat myself to some champagne truffles from Thorntons today. I will have one every night with my Baileys on ice. If you can't be naughty in December when can you be? I enjoyed doing the cushions. There was more sewing involved than I thought with the panels, putting borders on, not sure I'd choose them again, but I Iike how they've turned out. xx

      Delete
  2. You did a great job on those cushions which look very festive. I love how everyone has their own way of doing Christmas, all the little traditions that are kept up over the years. Just hope I can remember what ours are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Our usual Christmas Eve traditions seem to be coming to an end. Amy doesn't want to do a panto and Thomas (and me) are going to see one with school so we're not bothered. There's no Christmas film on at the cinema we want to watch and we used to go out for hot chocolate but the last time we did that they'd pulled all the Christmas decs down to get ready for the sales and there was no Christmas atmosphere whatsoever. Ah well. Changes are afoot. xx

      Delete
  3. Thanks Hester. They are really simple so I might make a set or two during the year just to give the room a bit of a different look. xx

    ReplyDelete