Saturday, 26 December 2015

Boxing Day

The plan this morning was to take Thomas to the park so he could have a go of his new toy gun that shoots gel pellets.  The weather has been awful though so we didn't go out. Not that I'm complaining. It might be wet outside but at least we're sat here dry and comfy, unlike a lot of people not too far away from us today. 

Thomas bought  me this for Christmas. Mark chose it from the National Trust Shop when we visited Dunham Massey and I was sent to stand outside so I wouldn't see it. 
I'm not at all scientific so had no idea that when I lit the candle the wheel and stars/snowflakes would start to spin around. It's lovely and the candle holder is beautiful when it's lit up. 
I'm itching to start my new jigsaw but will leave it now until we come back from Betws y Coed, although I might sit and sort the border pieces tonight while I'm watching Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None'. 
I watched Greatest Moments of Morecambe and Wise this afternoon. 40 years on and I still find myself laughing at the antics they got up to. The scene where they are making breakfast to "The Stripper" is my all time favourite. Absolutely classic. 

Aunty Edith and Ken came for tea. Thinking about it, this wasn't the first year without Tom or Joan here at Christmas. I remembered Tom didn't come last year as he wasn't feeling well so Amy took a plate of food up for him. 

It's funny what suddenly hits you, but the most poignant moment today was to do with dining chairs. Quite simply, we had enough. In years gone by we've had to bring a couple down from Tom's or Ken would put a couple in his car so that everybody could sit down. It seemed strange not having to squash everybody around the dining table. Ah well. 

And that, for Number 38'ers is Christmas over and done with. We don't prolong the issue, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day and that's it for us. 

It's back to normality for us all tomorrow. 

xx









12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had a good Christmas (yes, it's the Christmas table seating that tells the story) and I love your presents. Lots of rain and sog here, too. I haven't been over the doorstep for several days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the little things that suddenly hit you isn't it. Having enough elbow room to eat in comfort somehow didn't seem quite right. We're surrounded by flooded areas but we are high up so I can't see any problems for us here. But Betws y Coed is another matter. We're gearing up to go but it could all change at the last minute. Keep warm and dry. xx

      Delete
  2. rainy here too today. But of course, can't complain either, no flooding so we are fortunate.
    Our Christmas seemed to end half way through yesterday. Bill left to pick up his mum and take her home and then stay the night with her. She usually has people in overnight, but it stops over Christmas. So that was it. All Christmas feeling came to a sudden halt, and I had to deal with a teary Violet last night who didn't want her dad staying away. I agree, but what can I do. No choice in the matter. Today I'm fighting temptation to get rid of the small selection decs that I did put up. Bill's bd is on the 2nd and he likes Christmas to stay in place until then. But I'm thinking I could get Violet's tree down, and the one in the kitchen, get things looking a bit tidier.

    Like your little candle thing. Oh, and good news for us. We are off to the ballet in March. Sleeping Beauty. I moaned at Bill after seeing your Swan Lake tickets, saying it had been almost 2 years since we'd been to a ballet. So got it sorted out swiftly! Good thing you mentioned yours, or I might have been too late. Tickets were pretty scarce, we were lucky to get them. And they're on the front row, which I always love. You can see dancers waiting in the wings and hear the thud of the pointe shoes.

    Have a love Sunday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame that Bill had to leave. Bad enough for you but quite understandable that Violet didn't want him to go. Will everything be back to normal for you all tonight?

      I said to Mark yesterday that after Aunty Edith and Ken leave that's it for us, Christmas is over. Which is fine, 3 days is plenty.

      I could quite happily take all the decorations down myself now but it's a 1st January job at Number 38. And yes, if Bill's birthday is 2nd January I can see why he would want them to stay up. Joan used to leave hers up til 6th January! It always felt like they were still in Christmas mode halfway through the year lol.

      Glad to hear you are going to the ballet. Is Violet as excited as I am? I can't wait. xx

      Delete
    2. I never ever take my tree down til 12th night! And all other decorations stay in place until New Year's Day! It's so cosy and festive that I can't bear it when they are all gone!!

      Delete
    3. You'd have been in good company with Joan then. It was another one of her bad luck theories lol. She once forgot to take 3 baubles down she'd hung over the dining room light and they stayed up til the following Christmas! I love the decorations going up but by NY Day I'm glad to see the back of them. xx

      Delete
    4. I think I am Joan from what I've read!

      Delete
  3. I love the candle chimes! One of my favourite decorations used to be an angel chime, on the same principle. Funny how little things make you stop. The idea of having enough chairs made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely isn't it. The man of the house chose well. He can do it, when he puts his mind to it!

      Picking up those extra chairs used to get on my nerves, it was just one more job on the long list of things to do. But I'd have gladly collected them this year if it meant Tom and Joan were here to sit on them. The table certainly felt different. Even though Tom didn't eat with us last year, he was still here, so it didn't seem as bad. xx

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete