Wednesday, 30 December 2015

A little bit of Betws y Coed

We're home. Thankfully, there were no major incidents on the roads and the weather was good to us, just a little shower on Monday. Last night was a bit hairy though with the storm. Plenty of branches flying about hitting the windows and roof and the hotel grounds were covered in them this morning. But otherwise it was fine and dry, although it rained for the whole drive home.

Rather than one long post about Betws y Coed I'll pop a few photos up over the next couple of days. But to start with here's our hotel, The Waterloo. It's lovely inside, modern but comfortable and the food is the best we've eaten in ages. There's also a lovely pool and health club but we didn't use this. 
We would have stayed in the hotel but it was fully booked, so we stayed in one of their bungalows, just behind the hotel, which is what we did when we last went.   
They're a bit grey looking and could do with a lick of paint on the outside but inside they are perfectly fine, with plenty of room for a family of four.
This was the view from the patio window. The bridge is the one that was flooded and although you probably can't make out the writing underneath it says, 'this arch was constructed in the same year the Battle of Waterloo was fought'. (1815). 
One of the main attractions in Betws y Coed is Swallow Falls. It's just a couple of miles from where we stayed and if we were route marchers we'd have walked it. However, we're definitely amblers, so drove there instead. 
Probably just as well because after the walk, there are then 111 steps down to the bottom which means 111 steps up again! We're about one third of the way down here. 
And this is as far as the steps take you. I was fine going down and coming back up I only needed 2 stops to catch my breath. 
One of the things Thomas wanted to do was go on the miniature railway. I went with him the first time but he's becoming more independent these days and had a second ride on his own. See, the sun even decided to come out for us. 
This was on the railway platform and there was a sign asking you to fill the sculpture with any bottle tops you had. 
The train station, which is in the centre of the village, was opened in 1868 and although my photo is pretty rubbish, it's lovely. Over the bridge is a small railway museum and model shop which is where I picked the key up for St Michael's Church. I'll post about that tomorrow. 
And now for other Number 38 news. Amy has been invited to a New Years Eve party and she decided the easiest thing to go as would be a cat, so on the way to pick up the dogs I stopped off at the fancy dress shop for cat accessories. Ears, neck ribbon and tail.

I've taken all the Christmas cards down, the first sign that the festive season is on its way out at Number 38. I'll hold out until 1st January for the rest but have to admit I'm looking forward to packing it all away.

And I'm sat here once again quite flabbergasted at how quickly the days have passed since Amy and Thomas broke up for the holidays. Only four more days and they'll be back at school.

xxx



















11 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a fab time and I'm looking forward to reading about St. Michael's tomorrow. I'm taking my cards down tomorrow too, I spend ages turning them into gift tags for
    My gift tag box!
    As for school, I'd rather not think about it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to cut cards up for gift tags. Mum had zig zag scissors we used to make them look a bit more fancy!

      No, I'm not thinking about the early get ups for school just yet either. I have 3 more lazy PJ mornings and 3 more evenings before I have to start making sandwiches again, so I'm going to enjoy those.

      Wishing you, HG, Miss 21 and Mr 18 a Very Happy New Year. xx

      Delete
  2. school hols always go far too quickly :o(

    What a lovely break you've had. really pretty place you went to.

    I'm sure I'll be around tomorrow, but if I'm not (tend to sleep through old year to new), I wish you a very happy and healthy 2016 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed Sadie. But purely from a selfish point of view it's not the children I miss so much these days but the lazy mornings lounging around in my PJ's.

      Betws y Coed was lovely and the little break was good between Christmas and New Year.

      We are staying up for New Year but it'll be a quiet affair, just us Number 38-ers. Happy New Year to you, Bill and Violet. xx

      Delete
  3. Christmas break is too short! I can't believe it's back to the grindstone on Monday. Have a peaceful New Year and see you on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is too short lately! Days are flying by at a rate of knots. We're having a quiet New Year's Eve in, but we're staying up to see it in. Mind you, the next few hours will probably seem like a lifetime haha. Happy New Year to you and all the family. xx

      Delete
  4. Looks and sounds like a fab little holiday. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

    Can't quite believe it's the end of another year. Tempus fugits, alright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed it. Lots of fresh air and good food and just enough to see and do for a little break. These years are flying by. No matter how much I try to make each day last I seem to be at the end of each month before I've started it. Happy New Year to you and the Mister. xx

      Delete
  5. Several years since we went there, it sounds like a good break ( I'm glad Thomas had his top on at the falls!)
    Happy new Year to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, and just a couple of days away always does us good. We're already thinking we might return next year. Yes, one of the rare occasions you'll see Thomas with a top on is when he's outside. He actually started off wearing a long sleeved one, but that lasted all of 2 minutes before it was changed for his usual t-shirt. Happy New Year to you and Col. xx

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year to you and yours. We still have a couple of hours to wait here. We always stay up and I make LH go out and then let the new year in!! Cooking a ham tomorrow, there'll only be 5 of us so it will be a nice quiet day.

    ReplyDelete