Monday, 9 November 2015

Making a bit of room

I did a little bit of de-cluttering today in the lounge, Thomas' room, the airing cupboard and one shelf of our wardrobe. Most things have been boxed up and moved to the shed. Next spring I'll have a look and see if I still want them and if not I'll probably do another car boot sale. All this is in preparation for Christmas and although I've now got mostly empty surfaces that are ready and waiting to be decorated, I've still kept a little Autumn corner going at Number 38.
I've added a couple more toys to the pile and tomorrow, weather permitting, we'll be dropping them off at the mission in Manchester. 
And I was looking back to see when we made the Christmas cake last year. We actually did it the day after Thomas' birthday so I'm going to get a wriggle on and do it this Saturday when Mum comes down. It's her annual baking session from hell as Amy and Thomas help out and it can all become a bit slap dash and giddy. I could save her nerves and do it on the QT, but it really wouldn't be the same without her here. It's as much fun watching her trying to keep calm and enjoy the moment as it is actually making the cake. 
It's been raining all day and it's now getting really windy. I might have raked the pile of leaves up last week but I didn't bag them up so no doubt they'll blow back all over the garden again. Ah well. 

xxx

4 comments:

  1. Love the little owl trees X it's finally Autumnal here! Although the gale force winds and torrential rain have not brought the temperature down - I'm still HOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right it is warm, even I'm sat here quite comfortable. I went to Manchester and put a chiffony type scarf around my neck and had to take it off after 5 minutes. I was roasting. Still windy here and very dull, but at least it's been dry. Been desperate to get the washing on the line. Fed up to the back teeth of it hanging around the house. xx

      Delete
  2. love your little Autumn corner. Your family cake making extravaganza sounds like a laugh!

    Getting very breezy here now too. But I'm with Rachel. It's still too warm. This p.m I was so overdone in coat, oversized scarf and hat. I was running late so shouldn't have dressed for midwinter. I was sweating by the time I got back home!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Mum is very particular and does things a certain way and she can't abide mess. I'm a bit more laid back and am quite happy for flour and eggs and sugar to end up all over the dining room table and floor once a year, (it's where the Christmas cake making takes place). Mum on the other hand is only here 5 minutes before she has a dishcloth in one hand and the brush in the other. I can tell it's purgatory for her, but I secretly think she enjoys it. xx

      Delete