Monday, 30 November 2015

Getting ready for Christmas

We were going to bob down to the Christmas markets in Manchester today but the weather is horrible and the last thing we felt like doing was walking around in the rain. Instead we did a tip run and a quick dart around Middleton for a few bits and bobs.

Back home I got the Christmas cards out and wrote the ones I need to take with me at weekend.
The Christmas gifts that aren't really Christmas gifts were wrapped for my brother's children.
And I bought some gifts that really are just gifts and don't need wrapping for my great niece and nephews, (gets confusing doesn't it). 
Then it was coat on and into the shed to sort out the decorations I wanted for the branch tree. These belonged to my Nanna and must be over 40 years old. No idea how I've ended up with them and I don't usually put them out but this year I'm going to find a place for them. Love the fact that the price per bauble is written on the box.
Then it was down to decorating the tree for tomorrow. What do you think? I've colour co-ordinated it with pinks and purples. Amy and Thomas decorate the Christmas tree and it has no theme whatsoever, so this feels quite grown up!
Looking at the photo I'm thinking maybe another 3 or 4 bunches of baubles just to fill in a couple of spaces. And although the star doesn't show up properly on the photo it does sparkle quite a lot in real life. The vintage baubles match in really well I think. 
In between all this I've done my usual Monday chores, but I have to confess I've not been as thorough as usual, it's been more of a quick lick and a promise. Faffing around held more appeal than the feather duster today. 

xxx





























18 comments:

  1. I love your tree soooo much! You inspired me so I went and collected some branches. Very easy to do as so many have blown down with the bad weather. They are now in the spare room drying out. I hope I get chance to do it during the week. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. Sometimes simple looking projects are harder to do than they look, but this was actually fairly easy. Hope you get chance to make one. It looks better in real life and even Mark has commented on it. Very unusual lol. xx

      Delete
  2. That just looks so brilliant. I love the idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. It's such a simple idea but really effective and also cheap. I bought a pack of baubles and some lights. Total cost £3.49. Makes me like it even more! xx

      Delete
  3. tree turned out so well! I love it.
    Loving those decorations (notice I've avoided calling them 'vintage' as they and me are of similar age!), good for you for getting them out this year, they are too nice to go unseen.

    Oodles of pressies you have there.

    No chores for me today, I've done nothing but scrape flippin' wallpaper off the wall! Nails are ruined! :O(
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well I think you would be nouveau vintage whereas I'm definitely on the vintage side of vintage. The presents even confused me. I lost track of what to wrap and what not to wrap. It might sound confusing but there is method in my madness.

      I feel your pain. It'll be a long time before I strip another wall after working up at Number 14. The plus side is you can indulge yourself in another manicure when it's all over. xx

      Delete
  4. An so lute lee beautiful. It's gorgeous! Well done you! The baubles are just lovely and perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. When it stops raining get your pupils outside gathering some up for you. I really enjoyed doing it. xx

      Delete
  5. WTF is my phone writing?!!!
    Absolutely is what I actually wrote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just thought you'd stopped off for the Bailey's and decided to have a glass or two lol. xx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Candace. Thank you. I have to admit I really enjoyed doing it without any help from Amy and Thomas. It's their turn next weekend though. They have free reign over what goes on and where. xx

      Delete
  7. You're so organised! I want to be like you when I grow up.

    P.S. The tree is fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you should see the chaos around me. Photos definitely can lie. Sometimes it helps having family that don't live near you. It means I can get presents and cards off my mind early on rather than it all happening at once. The tree was fun to do and with no help from Amy and Thomas actually looks quite decent. xx

      Delete
  8. A decent faff is definitely better than tidying up some days, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat a good faff every now and then. It's good for the soul. And there's always housework to be done so it can take a back seat sometimes. xx

      Delete
  9. Love your tree and the vintage balls. We spent all afternoon yesterday with LH up a ladder and me at the bottom changing all the light bulbs on the outside christmas lights. Looks really nice now. We don't take them down each year. It took my husband 20 years to put them up, I said they are never coming down or they'll take another 20 years to go back up!!! They have done really well though, but had finally lost the colour, from the sun, so needed to be replaced

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. Bet your house looks lovely all lit up, especially with all the snow you've had. We're toying with idea of outside lights but there's no way Mark would climb a ladder so probably won't bother. How's the weather over there? We are just grey, wet and miserable here and it's so dark and gloomy as well. xx

      Delete