Sunday, 8 November 2015

10th Birthday

At exactly 10.02am this morning Thomas officially left his single figure years behind him and quite happily marched into his double ones. 
The celebrations started last night at Belle Vue and it was certainly the birthday boy who was the lucky one. He won something in nearly every race, unlike Amy, Mark and myself. I think we only won 2 or 3 races each. He put his winning streak down to wearing Mark's lucky cap. 
Mind you, it only took a couple of losses for him to declare he wasn't wasting any more of his money. We persuaded him to carry on as that was the point of the night out, but I was secretly pleased the grand loss of £4 made him want to stop betting completely.

These are his winnings from the first 4 races. We had a really good night and although it's not something I could do more than once every 12-18 months, when we do go we always enjoy it.
Today, he was awake at 4.30am! ready to open his cards and presents. This year he really didn't know what he wanted so he got money from relatives and a DVD, book, board game and some money for a new Xbox game from us. Amy bought him a minecraft t-shirt. The book was Diary of a Minecraft Zombie and he got stuck into it straight away. By 9am we'd also watched his DVD, How to Train A Dragon 2.
This afternoon we took him and 2 friends bowling and to laser quest followed by a birthday tea at McDonalds. Then it was back home for birthday cake and some Xbox-ing for an hour.
The cake looked pretty OK considering it was a last minute buy.
Although I have to say Amy was much more impressed with the sweet surprise inside than Thomas was.
His birthdays are so much more laid back than Amy's used to be. We've had princess parties, soft play parks, dicsos, swimming parties and magicians. In fact, you name it we've done it and without a doubt every one was worth the effort as she absolutely loved the whole rigmarole. 

But Thomas is a totally different character and is more than happy with 2 or 3 friends coming along to celebrate his day with him. And I must admit there is a big part of me that's really glad I don't have to do parties with all the bells and whistles any more. 

Happy 10th Birthday Thomas :) 

xxx


10 comments:

  1. aw, Happy, Happy Birthday Thomas! The flat cap looks grand, and I'm so glad he's not destined to be a gambler!

    I think it must be a girl thing then. Violet's parties have always been a bit of a do, this year I put my foot down and said it was going to be quiet. She invited one friend to go to Frankie & Benny's for lunch. Thought it was a genius idea. However, she got so much hassle off 'friends' moaning that they hadn't been invited, and basically tried to wear her down into weedling themselves an invite. (failed. When I learnt this info I said not a chance. Bullying snotbags aren't welcome. End of.)
    I can't win. When we do something of an event, I get bitchy comment from other mums going on about how I 'spoil' violet or the old classic 'it's ok if you can afford it'. so rude and ungrateful. And hello, here's a thought, SAVE for such events! So That's what we have to do! I wish each year could be as nice as your birthday celebrations.

    Cake looks lush. Could do with a slice of that myself. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too Sadie. We're not a 'gambling' family, we don't even do the lottery but we do have a flutter on the grand national every year and that's about it.

      I think big parties are definitely more a girl thing. There seems to be more variations for them somehow. I would never comment either way on any party that mine have been invited to, what a horrible thing to do, but it sounds as though with a certain group of Mums whatever you do isn't going to be right. So who cares. It's the child's special day and for adults to comment is appalling. The worst thing is they probably do it in front of their own children as well.

      I've had years when I've refused to pay big money for parties and that's when we've done the princess party, discos, sleepovers etc at home. Regardless of whether you can afford it or not something nice can always be done for a birthday. Sometimes it just takes a bit of effort and I think a lot of parents don't bother if they can't hand their kids and friends over to a 'party hostess' and sit back and do nothing.

      I have a confession to make. Thomas asked for a piece of cake, tasted it and said "thanks for making such a lovely cake Mum". Guess what, I took the credit. I am so bad! xx

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Thomas. It sounds like a lovely time was had by all. Love the cake! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really enjoyed his day and certainly made the most of it by getting up so eary! Lord help us at Christmas. Amy was really impressed with my efforts, I don't think Thomas was too busy messing about with his friends to even notice it had sweets inside it. But he did compliment me on what a lovely cake I'd made later on that evening and I happily took all the credit hee hee. xx

      Delete
  3. Many happy returns, Thomas. What a fab start to your year of being 10.

    The cake turned out really well. It looks very festive. (I didn't receive the oohs and aahs I was expecting when I made mine, either. Don't know why I bother !)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are these boys like. Our talent and taste is obviously totally wasted on them. I just looked at Mark and said "well at least I didn't go to the trouble of making it". Amy gets caught up in the moment at any celebration though and more than made up for his total lack of enthusiasm. I'd have been ecstatic if I'd had a cake filled with sweets when I was little. xx

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Thomas, all the way from Canada!!!! The cake looks delish. We got 3" of snow overnight, yuck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice, I'm so jealous of your snow. The UK would be at a complete standstill now though if 3" fell in one night. Bet you are just going about your business as usual aren't you. I will pass your birthday wishes on to Thomas, he'll be really impressed that I 'know' somebody in Canada. It's a place he'd love to visit after hearing his older brother Matthew talk about it. He went when he was about 7 or 8 and had a fantastic time. xx

      Delete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday young man! It looks like a brilliant day was had by all xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. He really enjoyed his birthday. He didn't go to bed any earlier though even after getting up at silly o'clock! xx

      Delete