Sunday, 4 October 2015

Paper Memories

These are the 7 layers of wallpaper we  have to work our way though in the kitchen at Number 14. It's like going down memory lane for Mark with him saying "I remember Dad putting that up" or "I can remember Mum choosing that one". 
Nephew J came down yesterday and humped 36 bags of stone through the house for us - a total of one tonne. What do you think of the shed? That's my handiwork. Just a couple of finishing touches around the door frame and it's done.
Then he lifted all the downstairs carpet up so the decorator has a clear run next week. He's been a godsend and his muscles have earned every penny. Matthew is snowed under with work and keeps asking J if he wants a job, but he's at college doing A levels.
Thomas was getting a bit bored so we set him to work with a piece of wood and a bag of nails. We didn't have a hammer so he used a chisel instead. He spent a good half hour doing this. Bet the neighbours are glad we're not moving in.
Today, I've started staining the decking. I'll get Mark to take an action shot of me tomorrow haha. As a treat we went out for Sunday lunch at the pub by the canal which was lovely, especially as we got a window seat. 
And this week will be busy as ever. We have an open evening at secondary school for Thomas, an open evening at college for Amy, I have to go for my 6 monthly blood tests, Thomas needs a hair cut, the new windows are being installed, the decorator is in, I need to finish painting the decking, start stripping the kitchen, book the plasterer and start the ball rolling with the letting agent. Plus I have to remember I'm watching a dragon on e-bay for Thomas' project. Although I'm thinking there might be something on my phone that will beep to remind me about this?

Phew, didn't know we still had it in us!

xxx





7 comments:

  1. Blimey, I'm exhausted reading that little lot! Much as I wish my two were little again, I absolutely do not miss blooming parents evenings and meetings at school at night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound a lot doesn't it but I just keep telling myself one thing at a time and I do have all day to do things in.

      Thomas' parents evening is fine - we are allocated 5 minutes (not worth going really), but Amy's takes ages, different rooms, different teachers, long queues etc, as you well know. Meetings at school in the evenings are a pain, but one has to show willing haha. xx

      Delete
  2. The layers of wallpaper were interesting to look at. It's such a sign of the times. I'm thinking the pink and green one was the mid eighties?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a walk through the decades isn't it. Funnily enough the pink and green one was the most recent, probably put up about 5 years ago, but that doesn't mean anything really, Tom could well have had it in the wardrobe since the 80's. I think the bowl of fruit and the brown/flower/tile effect could have been the 70's? I'm not that good at wallpaper really. I think I might have mentioned before Mum didn't do patterns and we were brought up with white emulsion. xx

      Delete
  3. My goodness, what a lot of work! I hope the new tenants appreciate all the work and look after it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice. It has been a lot of work but it needed doing whether we were going to sell it or rent it out otherwise we'd have definitely not got anywhere near market value for it. I'm hoping the fact that it's nice will mean the tenants take some pride in it and look after it. We'll see. xx

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete