Tuesday, 13 October 2015

Hells Kitchen

a.k.a. The kitchen at Number 14. 

The plasterer is coming on Saturday. Which means it was a case of having to make a start on the kitchen yesterday. I had a bit of a brainwave about the floor tiles - using the steam stripper to see if it would melt the glue. I'm glad I'm not just a pretty face because it worked, although a bit of muscle behind the chisel and hammer was still needed. But we got them all off in the end.
Then it was time to move onto the wallpaper. Not too hard, but definitely time consuming and tedious. The steam stripper is good but it can't get through all the layers in one go, so it's like stripping a room 3 times over. We've spent hours doing this already and there's still more to do. And there was one wallpaper that went all stretchy, a little bit like chewing gum and was a pain to get off. There was some huffing and puffing at that point I can tell you.

I've also painted 31 spindles over the past few days in fits and starts and I still have another 14 to go. I'm secretly hoping it will rain tomorrow so I have a legitimate excuse not to finish them off. More gravel is arriving on Friday and I'm toying with the idea of painting the concrete slabs. I've seen them on a house near us and they look pretty good. 
Another project has also been finished today. This one was much more fun to do, mainly because Thomas did most of it. The dragon's nest is now ready to be taken into school tomorrow.
Wish the kitchen was this easy and as enjoyable.

xxx



2 comments:

  1. Paint the concrete! I've painted mine and I don't know why I waited so long. I love the dragon nest. Ten out of ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it, you've made my mind up. I'm going to paint it. The dragon's nest has gone in today - another thing off my list xx

      Delete