Friday, 30 October 2015

Cold War Bunker and Radiation Sickness

Our mini break in York came to an end with a visit to the cold war bunker. If you ever visit York this should definitely be on your must do list. It's fascinating and informative and even though you can only look around on an official guided tour, something we don't generally do, I would highly recommend it. It's an odd little place, set in a cul-de-sac surrounded by modern flats and houses. Not at all where I expected to find it. I'd envisaged it being in the middle of a field or hidden away in some woods.
The tours last about 90 minutes and around 20 people are allowed in at a time. I thought we'd be the only ones there but actually we were the last 4 of our group, with other people already arriving for the next one. I didn't take any photos apart from this one, the nerve centre of the whole operation. The most fascinating thing for me was how low tech it all actually was. Pens, boards, paper, maps, pins and rulers seem to be all the tools you need to plot which areas are going to be affected by a nuclear fallout. 
We arrived home about 3pm and after collecting the dogs from the kennels my personal finale to our little break was meeting friends for a drink and a meal. As usual we had a cracking time and I drank 2 largish glasses of wine, which means being the lightweight that I am, that even though I wasn't drunk I was really tired and just needed to go to bed as soon as I got in.

Unfortunately, I came home to a ghostly looking Thomas, who'd been sick and was a little bit panicky because he thought he might have radiation sickness from being in the bunker bless him. Anyway, he decided throwing up should be a half hourly event until 5am this morning, when he finally went to sleep and I finally managed to get to bed. York seems like a distant memory already!

Today I have sluggishly worked my way though the washing and been shopping but painting the kitchen at Number 14 was definitely off the cards so Mark has done that instead. The kitchen arrives tomorrow so there will be big changes in here over the next week. I chose crushed almond but in all honesty I might as well have gone for magnolia. There's not much difference. 
I treated myself to a bit of creative therapy though and did my Halloween shelf. We popped to Sainsburys for a few bits before the trip and I spotted this tree which made its way into the trolley. At the time my head was full of packing, getting dogs to kennels, printing out Jorvik tickets and Premier Inn reference numbers, so it seemed easier to pick something off a shelf than make my own. I'll add a few more finishing touches tomorrow. 
I also popped in the black cat which Wendy has spent all day barking at. It's a complete madhouse here at times.

I thought we might have done a bit of pumpkin carving at some point but Thomas is still suffering the effects of radiation sickness and hasn't moved off the settee all day, so hopefully we'll do it tomorrow.  

I'm absolutely cream crackered now. I doubt I'll make it past 9pm and woe betide anybody who wakes me up before I've had at least 12 hours sleep. 

Goodnight one and all.

xxx




8 comments:

  1. Bless him! Radiation sickness indeed! Love the tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Thomas all over. Goes to worse case scenario immediately. One of his little traits we've had to deal with plenty of times over the years. An example of this is if he ever forgot his homework (never does), in his mind he's immediately in the Head Teacher's office being severely punished. These days he's getting better at not going to DEFCON 1 status so quickly but we still have to work on it. xx

      Delete
  2. Love the cat, wonder what our cats would think if one appeared in our house. Hope your son feels better soon. The bunker looks so strange right there in the middle of modern housing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bunker was in a really odd place. I'm wondering if it was in the middle of nowhere at some point and the area has been built up around it over the years. The cat has finally been allowed to settle into Number 38; Wendy can walk past it now without growling haha. Thank you, Thomas is on the mend. It was one of those nasty 24/48 hour bugs. xx

      Delete
  3. Oh, dear, hope it isn't catching. Maybe you should all tie tea towels round your faces just to be on the safe side. (I do that if anyone shows the slightest sign of chucking up here. And I wear oven gloves. You can't be too careful.). Hope you got the pumpkin carved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, what are you like. Do you really wear oven gloves rofl xx Touch wood, (I'll probably be really ill now), I'm not very susceptible to sicky bugs even when the kids have them. In fact, Thomas is the worst of us all but doesn't get them that often himself really. Yes, the pumpkin got carved by me and Mark, sadly Thomas wasn't up to it. xx

      Delete
  4. Poor Thomas. I lived in York for years and I never went to the bunker.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure Thomas would go again haha. It's definitely worth a visit and is very interesting, even if you do get radiation sickness. xx

    ReplyDelete