Tuesday, 15 September 2015

Project 1 at Number 14

Tom's house has anaglypta wallpaper in the dining room and lounge that's been on for decades (4 to be precise), and which has been emulsioned loads of times over the years.

For the past couple of days we've been deliberating whether to strip it off or not. Not because we're adverse to a bit of hard work but because we've both read horror stories about it taking ages to get off, half the plaster coming with it etc. etc. 

To be honest, it's not an offensive pattern, it's just that each square is about 12x12 and the lounge is quite big which means there's a lot of them. If it wasn't such a defined pattern I think we'd have left it on, but we finally decided today that for a more modern look it had to come off whatever the consequences. 
It was a bit of a nervy moment, after all, once you've started stripping wallpaper you can't just stop, but I think Tom must have been smiling down on us because I couldn't believe how easy it came off. And touch wood, not one bit of plaster has come with it.

So, here's my first 'before' picture of Number 14. This is the dining room which features another pattern. The 'after photo' probably won't be on here for weeks but it's a good feeling that we've made a start and so far it seems to be going OK. 
Just hope anaglypta doesn't come back into fashion in the next few months. 

xxx


11 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your posts on the progress x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lots of people coming to look at jobs over the next couple of days but won't be starting any work for a couple of weeks I don't think. The skip coming tomorrow, so the weekend will be spent completely clearing the house out. xx

      Delete
  2. that was lucky. I once moved into a house that was wall to wall covered in with woodchip paper. Now THAT is a swine to get off.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good old woodchip. My faithful bedroom companion for most of my childhood. I did like the fact it got painted every year though and we could choose the colour we wanted as long as it was white or pink! xx

      Delete
  3. I moved into a house 30 years ago to find that what I thought was painted Anaglypta was in fact painted Artex, gloss painted at that. I wish you well with your project and look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, that makes my anaglypa story pale into insignificance. Did you have to re-plaster? That was my biggest worry at Number 14. In our first house, we had some spare cash (unusually), and decided we'd decorate the chimney breast. Half an hour into stripping the paper off a big chunk of plaster came with it. Don't think we went out for weeks paying for that to be done! Living off baked beans and love is OK when you're in your 20's but I'm a bit past all that now lol xx

      Delete
  4. The living room at home had almost exactly that pattern. I seem to remember at one point it was painted some vile green shade called frascati. Not lime, but nearly. Ah, the joys of the seventies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. We had a 'feature wall' which was anaglypta (obviously), painted bright orange. I don't know what possessed my Mum, she never really went for colours and still doesn't. She must have been feeling adventurous. I loved growing up in the 70's. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the start is the hardest bit. Well it is here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an expert in procrastination so it can take a while for us to get around to doing big jobs here, mainly because I can't stand living in the mess. But the best bit about this is we can just shut the door and walk away from the mess until we're ready to face it again. xx

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete