Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Babbacombe

This time last week we were in Babbacombe. It's a lovely little place about a 20 minute drive from where we were staying.

The main reason for going was to ride on the cliff railway which takes you down to Oddicombe Beach. 

This is the view from the road. Along the front there are maybe a dozen hotels and a theatre, all old fashioned buildings but all beautifully maintained.

The railway has been operating since 1st April 1926 and has undergone several refurbishments over the years. It cost us £6 for a return family ticket which I didn't think was too bad for the novelty of being taken down to the beach and more importantly back up again.
At the bottom there is a lovely little cove where even though it wasn't the best day of the week we spent a good amount of time on the beach dodging the waves and throwing stones into the sea. Thomas didn't get out of the way of the waves quick enough, (accidentally on purpose I think), and ended up with wet feet.
We decided we'd walk along the coast line  to see how far we could go and if we could reach the houses at the end. 
The walk was lovely and took us past a waterfall, up some wooden steps and over a wooden bridge where we found ourselves outside a pub.
Inside was pretty quiet and we chose to sit in the conservatory for lunch which we had all to ourselves. The view was lovely and me and Mark could have easily spent an afternoon there with a bottle of wine, but Thomas gets itchy feet so after lunch we set off back to the railway car.
The journey back up to the top was more scary than going down. It's a little bit like climbing up a roller coaster, which I'm no fan of, and I had the feeling all the way up that the carriage would slip back down and crash into the sea. 
It was a lovely place and I said so many times on holiday that England really is a treasure trove of beautiful places. It's just a shame the weather isn't more reliable.


xxx


8 comments:

  1. 'found ourselves outside a pub' *cough* all completely by a stroke of good luck of course! Ha ha.
    Looks utterly fab.
    Thomas's rascally face at getting soaked toots is fabulous.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly m'lud it was a complete fluke. We were hoping for a cafe but have to say we were very very happy to find a pub instead :) I could see Thomas inching his way forward with every wave so wasn't surprised he ended up with wet feet. xx

      Delete
  2. I love those funicular thingies. We have one at nearby Saltburn by the Sea. When I ride in it, I come over all Victorian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's what it's called. I did google their website to see if it had a fancy name but they just have it down as the cliff railway. Not sure if it's a word I like actually, it reminds me of those horrible foot adverts with fungal toes that they insist on showing you on TV. Urgh! xx

      Delete
  3. I would have totally died of fright getting in that rail car and would have had my eyes tight shut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sort of OK as we were on a track and enclosed but I held onto the rail for dear life and my legs were a bit jellified. There's no way I'd go on a cable car though and I'm terrified of roller coasters. Going back up was by far the worse of the two directions. xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Suzanne,

    Thank you for posting about Babbacombe. I'm a single bloke and one out of love with the modern world so I'm looking for somewhere to escape to next year and I think you may have helped me find it! Glad you and your family had such a great time and even more pleased to read how you are making the best of your precious time here - unlike me at the moment, I'm afraid...

    I love 'traditional England' and all things oldie worldie so the whole area sounds my scene as you describe it.

    Lots of love from Hastings! xx

    Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tony and welcome to Number 38. Ah yes, this modern world, it's not all it's cracked up to be is it. If I could time travel I would never go to the future - it would be backwards for me every time.

    Babbacombe is beautiful and I highly recommend a visit. I could quite easily have booked myself into one of the hotels on the front for a few days. A stack of books, morning coffee and afternoon tea and I'd be in my element.

    I try to be more aware of how I spend my time since my Heart Attack but the reality is time is still flashing by at an alarming rate - a sure sign of getting older lol.

    Please drop by again. It's lovely to have new visitors. xx

    ReplyDelete