Friday, 14 August 2015

Visiting Grandad

We went to see Tom this morning. I was glad I went. It was nice to see him finally at rest and looking peaceful. We left it up to Amy and Thomas whether they wanted to come or not and they both said they did. Thomas was absolutely fine about the whole thing and went right up to the coffin to see Grandad, standing there the whole time we were in the room. Amy was also glad she'd gone, but stayed stood behind us looking mostly at anything but Grandad. She certainly wasn't as comfortable as Thomas was with the whole thing.

To inject a bit of normality into the day we went to do some 'back to school' shopping. The usual stationery items have been bought for Amy, plus we managed to get her a school coat and Thomas his school shoes. Coats and shoes can be a major problem at Number 38. For some reason they are both really fussy about these items, although it's more about the feel and fit than fashion. I've also bought Thomas a pair of shoes in the next size up as we struggle to find any when we need them. It's taken me 5 years to figure this little trick out!

I think I'm a bit brain dead at the moment. Liz over at 'lovethosecupcakes' made a lovely cake full of sweets which I was admiring. I want to make one for Thomas' birthday and when I went to google how it was done I felt such a fool. Not to take anything away from her baking talents, but obviously all you do is cut out circles and pour sweets in. Doh!
                                       
It's been wet and miserable all day here today. I've spent a good amount of time trying to crochet granny squares. After many failed attempts I think I've finally got it. I'm planning to take some wool to Cofton and making these little squares will be a perfect way to pass the odd 10 minutes or so. 

xxx





8 comments:

  1. Good squares! I like the pattern.
    I'm glad you gave the children the choice. It's good for them to be included. Love to you all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've got the hang of them they're a nice little project to have on the go. I'm aiming for a blanket so will need over 100.

      Amy and Thomas were both glad they went to see Grandad. More often than not Thomas knows whether he really wants to do something or not so we we're led by him. Amy was a bit hesitant but felt the need to go as she was on holiday when he died. I'm not sure she would do it again. xx

      Delete
  2. Angel has literally taken the words from my keyboard, I was going to say that I'm glad you gave the kids the choice of seeing him or not. And let them decide.

    Sounds very cosy, doing crochet while the rain thrashes down outside. Just perfect.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very personal choice and one that even at a young age we wanted them to make themselves. They're generally pretty good at knowing what they do and don't want to do so we were led by them.

      I must admit it was rather nice being 'rained off' from doing anything. Sometimes enforced indoor activity can be perfect. xx

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh you have done far better than me with the granny squares. I've tried three times, but my two completed ones were nowhere near as beat as yours. What's your secret??!!! Went to a posh garden centre today and thought of you...they had a room of floor to ceiling jigsaws! The Christmas ones were divine! Divine prices too!! I'm hoping my app gets Xmas ones in in December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm missing my jigsaws I must admit. I went to Argos last week and while there I thought I would treat myself to one, but they were all home delivery for some reason. The secret to my granny squares is that I've actually made a mistake on all of them! I do know where I've gone wrong although I made about 15 before I realised. I've tried granny squares loads of times and given up. They're not as easy as they look. xx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Haha, I had visions of some intricate baking procedure having to take place. Felt like a proper numpty when the recipes all said "cut out a circle". Thomas if definitely getting one for his birthday now I know the 'secret'! xx

      Delete