Tuesday, 18 August 2015

Grandad's Poem

Thomas had his hair cut this morning and Amy bought some school shoes, which means that even though it's only 18th August they are now ready for going back to school which is a weight off my mind considering we are away next week. 

In between the daily routine of washing, cooking and cleaning I'm cracking on with the granny squares. Not wishing to sound smug but I can actually do them properly now! I decided to use cream as a border because a) it's the only colour I have and b) I wouldn't know what other colour to use - so really it was an easy decision to
make. 

I've also made myself sew the loose ends in as I go along as it's a tedious job and I know I won't want to do them all at the end.
I've joined the first two rows and have another row ready. The majority of these squares are actually wrong but at the end of the day it's only a blanket and at least I now know how to do them right. 
It's been cold here today. I wish our weather was more consistent. Yesterday I was sat out in the sun crocheting. Today all the doors and windows are closed and I'm definitely feeling chilly. When I went to peg the washing out for a split second I caught the smell of Autumn! How can that be when we are only half way through August?

Tonight I've been shortening trousers and ironing all our stuff for the funeral tomorrow. The hearse is arriving at Tom's house at 10.30am which means after getting up and getting ready we won't have very long to wait. 

We asked Amy if she wanted to read a poem expecting her to say no, but she really wanted to and I know Tom would have been so proud of her for doing this. The poem we've chosen is called "Feel No Guilt in Laughter" and perfectly sums up how Tom would feel. Just thought I would share it with you all.  


Feel no guilt in laughter, he knew how much you cared
Feel no sorrow in a smile that he's not here to share
You cannot grieve forever, he would not want you to
He'd hope that you could carry on the way you always do
So talk about the good times, the way you showed you cared
The days you spent together, all the happiness you shared
Let memories surround you, a word someone may say
Will suddenly recapture, a time, an hour, a day
That brings him back so clearly as though he were still here
And fills you with the feeling that he is always near
For if you keep those moments you'll never be apart
And he will live forever, locked safely in your heart

xxx


6 comments:

  1. Such a touching poem and how wonderful that Amy will be reading it. A lovely way to honor her Grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candace. She read it beautifully and Tom would have been really proud of her. I was glad she did it at the beginning of the service as she was really upset afterwards. You're right, it was a lovely tribute to her Grandad. xx

      Delete
  2. that poem is perfect. Good luck to Amy reading it, she'll do a good job I'm sure of it. And Tom would be so proud.

    I hope it all goes well for you today (writing this on Weds. morning).

    your blanket is looking brilliant.

    And Mwhahhahha, my Evil Genius plan is working, making Autumn come early ;o) I love that autumn smell, I've caught a little scent of it a couple of times already. Such a beautiful time of year.

    Thinking of you today.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell of Autumn in August did take me by surprise lol. Mind you, it is only 11 days until the season arrives - are you on a countdown haha?

      The funeral was lovely and I think just how Tom would have liked it. The poem could have been written for Tom, it summed up his outlook perfectly.

      I'm really enjoying the blanket. The squares are lovely little 15 minute projects and of course now they're correct I feel much better! xx

      Delete
  3. Was thinking of you as you went through the funeral. And the poem is beautiful x
    I love the blanket, as well. I'm itching to start an autumn blanket......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angel Jem. It was a lovely service and the poem was perfect for Tom. I'm really enjoying the blanket now I've got the hang of how to do the squares properly! Makes a nice change from crocheting straight rows over and over and over...... xxx

      Delete