Sunday, 9 August 2015

Blackcurrant Picking

The urge to get out and do something was overwhelming today but we didn't want to swap one set of walls for another. We needed fresh air.

Then I remembered we never did get around to strawberry picking. A quick look at Kenyon Hall Farm revealed strawberries, blackberries and raspberries were pretty much over but blackcurrants and broad beans were available.

Amy was happy to come but we had to prise Thomas off the X-box and out of his PJ's.

It took us about 30 minutes to get there which is a perfect drive for what would at most be a 2 hour outing. They have a fantastic farm shop crammed full of goodies and also a lovely cafe where we had a lunch of sandwiches plus a pork pie with apple for Mark.
Although it was cloudy it was warm and the place was really busy. There is a huge field for parking though so no problems there and they also have a play area where children were happily jumping off the hay bales and whizzing down the zip wire.
The blackcurrants were right at the top of the field and it wasn't long before everyone became engrossed in finding the biggest juiciest ones they could. Blackcurrant bushes are perfect for Thomas as they're not prickly and he really enjoyed filling up his container.
This little lot cost me £3.37. After lunch Thomas wanted to pick some more so me and him wandered back to the field while Amy and Mark sat on the picnic benches in the play area. 
It was a lovely afternoon and the fresh air always clears my head. So much so that I came home all reinvigorated and found a little holiday, although it does depend on whether we can get the dogs into kennels. 

Meanwhile, I have jam jars to sterilise and jam to make.

xxx




10 comments:

  1. Which Thomas has already decided he won't like. He told me numerous times while we were picking the blackcurrants. I think he's afraid I'm going to force feed him. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love the idea of enjoying the work without enjoying the spoils! I've never visited Kenyon Farm, despite the fact it's just down the motorway. I might try hard and go this week or next. Do they have farmers' markets there, do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a visit. The shop and cafe are lovely. Not sure about Farmers Markets but their website is really good, full of information, so I'd have a look on there www.kenyonhall.co.uk. I'm going to put the Maize Maze and Pumpkin Festival on our calendar - whether I remember to go or not is another matter haha. xx

      Delete
  3. Jam is just the ticket. Easy to make and a big payoff in pleasure later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love home made jam. In fact I love home made anything especially cake! According to google blackcurrant jam is one that never fails to set either, so hopefully there'll be no mishaps. xx

      Delete
  4. Blackcurrant jam is my absolute favourite. Don't need cake or scones as carriers, either, I just eat it straight from the jar (I do have standards and use a spoon, though, not my fingers). Good to hear a holiday is in the offing. I think you'll all relish a change of scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, me and Amy are obviously more uncouth than you, we repeatedly dipped our fingers into the 'saucer tests'. I'll be properly taste testing it tomorrow, toast and jam for breakfast. Just hope it's not too tart, I'm more of a sweet person really. The holiday is booked! I am so looking forward to it. Just wasn't relishing the thought of finding and booking somewhere but in the end it was made easy by the fact we chose to go back to Devon and the place we wanted to go to had availability. Some things are just meant to be I guess. xx

      Delete
  5. what a lovely day out. Looking forward to seeing lots of jam related pics now :O) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really enjoyed it. We were desperate for fresh air and a change of scene but sometimes we need more than just a walk to entice Amy and Thomas out of the house. Fruit picking hit the spot for everybody, especially Thomas who really enjoyed himself. Their maize maze will be ready in a couple of weeks which sounds fun, I just have to remember to go back!. xx

    ReplyDelete