Monday, 6 July 2015

Bedside duty

I went out at 9.30am this morning and didn't get in until 4.30pm. The plan was to take Tom out for a coffee and a bit of fresh air for an hour then come home and get on with what we both needed to do. We'd only just ordered the coffee when he went into what I can only describe as a mental decline.

I suggested we take him back to the home and said that I would stay with him for the day to see if he slept any better with somebody with him. Very surprisingly he agreed to this. 

So, for most of the day I've sat in Tom's room. We've watched tennis, read the papers and had a chat. He's dozed in the chair and tried to sleep in the bed but can't get comfy. His ankles are like puddings, his bedsore is giving him jip and not being able to get a proper breath is driving his mad. And watching the whole thing just makes you feel so helpless.

He eventually went into a 'proper' sleep in the chair about 3pm and had a good hour, only to jerk awake that violently that he somehow slipped/fell off the chair and ended up sprawled out on the floor.

They've put a call in to his GP again and somebody is coming out to see him tomorrow. The nurse who's dealt with him today isn't in now for 3 days and has asked if we can be there tomorrow afternoon when the Doctor comes so we can go through everything with him.

So, that's what I've got planned for tomorrow.

Sorry about the lack of photos, there's not much opportunity for picture taking in a poorly man's bedroom. Hopefully normality will resume tomorrow. 

xxx


12 comments:

  1. Oh Sue, I fear that these times will become more common and fraught. I think you just gotta get your big girl pants on and gird yourself. I will be here with my internetty ears and shoulders for you. Being a grown up really stinks sometimes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was one month yesterday since Tom went into the home and the decline in that time has been quite dramatic, physically and mentally. Big girl pants are definitely on, in fact they're the waist warmer type. Must admit I wouldn't mind changing them for a skimpy pair a bit more often lol. It's lovely that people take the time to comment and send good wishes. Getting it down in black and white is my bit of therapy indulgence. xx

      Delete
  2. These are really tough times: but so, so precious too. Sending you light and love x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey. They are indeed hard times but there are some good times and laughs thrown in there as well. And we are very lucky to be able to spend as much time as we want with him and when we want which is a blessing. xx

      Delete
  3. I'll be thinking about you at this difficult time. I went through very similar situations with my mum and dad and now how difficult it can be. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice and thank you for your thoughts. It's a very difficult situation and it could go on for weeks if not months. We're just trying to keep his spirits up but he's very agitated mentally and physically worn out. Our biggest 'want' is for him to be as comfortable as possible in mind and body but we've not managed to achieve that yet. Some of that has to come from within the person themselves though I think. xx

      Delete
  4. So good that Tom was able to have your company and to relax enough to get some sleep. I'll be thinking of you at this difficult time, big virtual hugs coming your way too, Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vee. He is definitely not happy going to sleep let alone on his own and even though he managed to nod off he was restless and would jerk awake suddenly as if making sure he was still here. I think him not accepting the situation isn't helping him. I'm sure he'd be more peaceful if he could do that. xx

      Delete
  5. tricky situation all round. Hope he can get some peace and therefore sleep, but I suspect that's easier said than done.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's inner peace he needs to find Sadie and he's the only one who can do that. He asked me again today when he was going for radiotherapy. We're not asking him to give up, but I'm sure he would feel better if there was some acceptance on his part. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's a real fighter, isn't he? I know what you mean about acceptance, but the Force is strong in this one. I'm thinking of you x

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is fighting it but not in a positive way which I know sounds strange, but it's hard to explain how he is. Mind you, his personality is what it is and it's hard to break the habits of a lifetime I suppose, even when you're seriously ill. xx

    ReplyDelete