Monday, 22 June 2015

The Plague

I got the sewing machine out today. I've not done any sewing for a few weeks and I've got half a dozen dresses cut out ready to be made for the Dress A Girl charity. It only took an hour to complete this. I love making these dresses. They're a perfect little project to see through from start to finish without taking up too much time.
I also made some peanut butter and banana cakes. It was only a 2oz mixture but by the time I'd added a good tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter and a mashed up banana I managed to get 12 little cakes in total. I'm not sure whether Amy and Thomas will like them but if not, I'll freeze them for myself. They may not be very big but they're just right for when I fancy a little treat now and then.
I'm beginning to get fed up of this weather. The garden looks as grey as it did at the beginning of the year. There are plenty of buds on the plants but still no sign of colour ready to burst forth. Look at this little posy I was able to pick from the garden on 22nd June last year. What's going on?

I'm hoping the weather improves tomorrow. Amy is going on a day trip to Lake Windermere as part of her geography coursework and me and Mark are planning to visit Eyam in Derbyshire, also known as The Plague Village. We've been trying to get there for ages but haven't managed it yet. I'd be happy to walk around in the rain but Mark's a bit of a fair weather man so I'm praying for dry weather.

I've unashamedly cut and pasted the text below about Eyam for anybody who's interested in such things. Personally, I love this sort of history.


Eyam, a village in Derbyshire, was badly affected by the Great Plague of 1665 even though the disease is most associated with its impact on London. The sacrifices made by the villagers of Eyam may well have saved cities in northern England from the worst of the plague.
At the time of the plague, the village had a population of about 350. The most important person in the village was the church leader – William Mompesson.
In the summer of 1665, the village tailor received a parcel of material from his supplier in London. This parcel contained the fleas that caused the plague. The tailor was dead from the plague within one week of receiving his parcel. By the end of September, five more villagers had died and twenty three died in October.
Some of the villagers suggested leaving the village for the nearby city of Sheffield. Mompesson persuaded them not to do this as he feared that they would spread the plague into the north of England that had more or less escaped the worst of it. In fact, the village decided to cut itself off from the outside would. They effectively agreed to quarantine themselves even though it would mean death for many of them.
The village was supplied with food by those who lived outside of the village. People brought supplies and left them at the parish stones that marked the start of Eyam. The villages left money in a water trough filled with vinegar to sterilise the coins left in them. In this way, Eyam was not left to starve to death. Those who supplied the food did not come into contact with the villagers. 
Eyam continued to be hit by the plague in 1666. The rector, Mompesson, had to bury his own family in the churchyard of Eyam and held his services outside to reduce the chances of people catching the disease.
By November 1666, the plague was considered at an end. 260 out of 350 had died in the village but their sacrifice may well have saved many thousands of lives in the north of England. Mompesson survived the plague and died in 1709.
Right, I'm off to have a shower now. I'm meeting friends for a drink and meal tonight. We've been trying to get together for weeks but that dratted thing called life keeps getting in the way.

xxx

8 comments:

  1. I'll take one of those cakes please!

    the little frock is so cute.

    I'm sure summer will kick in properly soon (bleugh, I look forward to autumn all summer long), so your garden will soon be blooming with colour.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They cakes are rather yummy, even if I say so myself. Luckily Amy likes them so I won't have to eat them all. The dresses are so enjoyable to make, I get as much out of it as the charity I think. Oh that elusive season called summer, wherefore art thou?:) xx

      Delete
  2. It's as cold n miserable here too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was a meanie I would feel happy that you are living in cold and misery as well. But I'm a nice person and I wish sunshine and blue skies for everybody - apart from Sadie of course, whose favourite weather is rain :) xx

      Delete
  3. I would love some cool and wet right about now and a few days of it would not be bad at all. We had a rainy and cool(for us) spring but all of a sudden last week summer burst upon us and it has been in the 90's every day! 100-102 the last 3 days. HOT HOT HOT. no humidity though which helps but still too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohh that's a bit too hot for me Candace but Mark would like it as long as there was a pool to dip in and out of. Will it stay that hot now for the whole of your summer? Which state do you live in? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been unusually hot for this time of year. It does still get down to 57-59 every night so that makes the nights not bad unlike much of our southern states. I live in Colorado which most people equate with the Rocky Mountains and they are just to the east of where I live in western Colorado in what is considered high desert(4700 ft elevation). We live in a large valley surrounded on all sides by high mountains with the Colorado River running through. The predictions are for 102 on Sat. :(

      Delete
  5. I've just googled a few images of Colarado and it's breathtakingly beautiful. People really do live in some lovely places. I always think how much space you have in the USA when I see houses on TV. Big homes and lots of land. I bet it seems strange to you how we all live in small houses on top of each other.

    When I write to you in future I shall consider you my exciting penpal who lives on the other side of the world in a beautiful place doing all sorts of Americanised things :) xx

    ReplyDelete