Tuesday, 2 June 2015

No more walking to the school gates

My baby boy grew up a little bit more today. I know he's 9, so not that much of a baby, but all you Mums out there know what I mean. This morning he announced he wanted to walk into school on his own. So after parking up, I crossed him over the road and watched him walk down to the gates and into the playground on his own. The little monkey only looked back once and he said that was to make sure I wasn't following him! Doesn't seem 2 minutes since this was taken. 
I had a 5 minute pamper session today and painted my toenails. I don't possess any nail polish but Amy has loads. When I go into her room it's like entering my own personal beauty parlour. There's an ulterior motive to the coloured toes. I'm thinking they might detract from the numbers on the scales tomorrow. Those birthday cream cakes are weighing heavily on my mind and probably on my hips.
In between the showers, (will this rain and wind never end), I nipped out and finally planted up the strawberry plants.  They've gone into a hanging basket otherwise Wendy would just eat them. The gardening gloves were great, no dirty fingernails to scrub this time.

I hope a daily update on the jigsaw doesn't become too boring, but the red bus is nearly done.
And tomorrow I'm hoping to make some 'puzzle people'.

xx

8 comments:

  1. Oh, the heartbreak when they tell you that you are no longer needed to walk them to school! My daughter decided at the start of Year 5 that she could do very well without me, thank you very much. You will miss the people at the gates, if you were a school gates kind of Mum, and every letter home will suddenly get lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm torn between feeling sad and yet happy that Thomas wants to be independent. What I'll miss most of all is holding his hand which he did without any self consciousness. I was a school gate mum at his old school but not here so that part won't bother me too much. We missed Amy's first parents evening at secondary because she didn't hand us the letter. I only found out by default when her friend's mum asked me how it had gone. xx

      Delete
  2. These milestones are bittersweet aren't they? So proud that they are growing and becoming more independent and sad that they need you less. I like the puzzle updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've hit the nail on the head there Candace. It's great that he feels confident enough to do this especially as it was only 18 months ago where he still needed several hugs, kisses and loads of reassurance to even get into class. I'm glad he's beginning to feel confident about things and not worry as much, it's just that it came without any warning and caught me out. xx

      Delete
  3. oh don't, I'm dreading that day! Actually, Violet has already said she doesn't want to walk to school on her own (good, we have a really busy road to cross),and she still holds my hand :O) She turns 9 on Friday. I just can't believe how quickly they grow up. Heart breaking and amazing all at the same time.

    Ooh, hadn't thought about when Violet gets older and has her own stash of nail varnish that I can borrow. Now there's something to look forward to!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't let Thomas walk to school on his own either especially if there was a busy road to cross. I won't even let him cross the road near school on his own. There are too many inconsiderate parkers and I've seen a couple of near misses through people rushing.

      I actually never thought I'd see the day when Amy became girly. She wasn't interested in anything like that up until a few months ago. Now it's all about make-up, hair, nails and (sharp intake of breath), boys! xx

      Delete
  4. Yep, tempus fugits alright. I blinked and my boy turned 25. I keep buying him gingerbread penguins from Costa, like he's still 5 or something. He just thinks I'm crackers. Nice nail polish, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had to look up what that means, and I intend to use it whenever I can now! The gingerbread penguins made me laugh. I tell Thomas I'm going to the Doctor for a 'don't grow any more' pill. He's obviously ready to cut the apron strings more than me because he always says "no, don't Mum, I want to grow up". xx

    ReplyDelete