Saturday, 30 May 2015

Birthday Secrets and A&E

My 'birthday jigsaw' from Mum arrived today. I can't wait to get started on this but first I need to find something it will fit on. I've also been given some money so I'll be having a browse on Amazon this weekend and a look around Bury on Wednesday.
Obligatory sticks of rock brought back from holiday. Matching ones for 'adopted daughter' and her boyfriend - they can argue over the silliest things - and one for Grandma Joan. 

There's been lots of whispering and secret wrapping going on at Number 38 today. Could it be something to do with my birthday tomorrow? These presents appeared on the fireplace while I was upstairs putting the ironing away.
And these cake boxes were found in the kitchen. 

Mark has been sat in A&E for 3 hours with Tom this afternoon. He was supposed to be visiting Joan but when Mark saw him he was struggling to sit down and in a lot of pain. When he said he wanted to go to A&E we knew it must be bad. The upshot is he's been prescribed cream and senokot for the physical problem and anti-depressants and sleeping tablets to try and help him cope a bit better mentally. We did notice on holiday that he doesn't want to go to bed, (we think he's frightened of going to sleep and not waking up), and when he does nod off it's only for a couple of hours at a time. The cancer is obviously on his mind all the time and it must be wearing him out.

Tonight we are going to relax with a film a Chinese and a bottle of wine - well that's the plan, but who knows!

xxx 



10 comments:

  1. Hope tomorrow goes well!! Have a good birthday, and the parcels look really interesting.


    Your care for Big Tom makes me remember caring for Peter's Mum when she had cancer. I remember her telling me that sleep was nigh on impossible for a long stretch. There is just too much on their mind. She slept in the armchair some nights because all she was doing was dozing, and the effort of climbing stairs and getting ready exhausted her. It's a bad place for him and you to be; my thoughts are with you and I'm glad you have a place to talk about them. A trouble shared, as they say. Bless x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very sad to watch someone suffer physically and mentally. Funnily enough they gave Tom a bed to lie on while he was waiting at A&E and Mark said within 5 minutes he was asleep and the Doc had to wake him up 3 hours later. I think he just felt safer being with somebody. We've discussed him coming to stay with us and at a push we could have him, but we've both agreed it might be a bit early to be doing that. I do get some clarity of the situation writing about it on here and it's nice to know people understand. xx

      Delete
  2. Have you had a poke at those parcels yet? Love the jigsaw and hope we get to see what's inside the cake boxes (hopefully not something baked at school!).

    Sorry to hear about Tom but I'm sure you're right about what's going on. I know from personal experience it's so hard not to constantly think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, now that would be a surprise - an Amy special. I've not poked the presents because this year I've absolutely no idea what they are and I don't want to spoil the surprise by guessing. I think you can only really understand how much something weighs on your mind when you've experienced it like yourself. I know there are very few days when I don't think about what happened to me and just after it happened I used to think "am I going to wake up" xx

      Delete
  3. ooh, it's your birthday tomorrow! Happy, happy day to you, I hope you are spoilt rotten.

    You've just taken a photo of the pressies? Crikey woman, I'd have opened those by now (Bill has given up trying to stop me, I always do it ha ha)

    Poor Tom. I hope he can get a little peace of mind and have a good nights sleep. It's a tough situation.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the presents weren't from Amy and Thomas trust me they wouldn't still be wrapped. Before the children were born I made a tradition, purely from a selfish point of view, that we were allowed to open one present each on Christmas Eve and our Birthday Eve. My nanna was the funniest and even in her 70's couldn't wait til the day to open her presents xx

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday lovely lady. I really feel for you and old Tom. Life is just so inexplicably hard! Enjoy today and party like you are 8 years old!! The presents look sooooo inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life can be hard can't it and I sometimes look back and think I don't know how we got through that. I try not to think about anything as a whole anymore and just break it down into day by day - otherwise I'd go mad. Thank you for your birthday wishes. I intend to make the most of today even if it's just doing nothing. xx

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday. So sorry to hear about Tom, some things in life are so difficult, aren't they? Thinking of you, enjoy tomorrow, Vee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vee, I think this might be a taste of things to come. 'Little problems' that take a lot of sorting out. Thanks for the birthday wishes, I've had a lovely day. xx

    ReplyDelete