Sunday, 1 March 2015

Meals on Wheels

Tom was supposed to be coming for Sunday lunch but when Mark rang him this morning he'd not had a good night. He'd been up with a pain in his back/shoulder which he's mentioned on and off for the past few days so we'll have to monitor that, although it only seems to come on about 3am and is gone when he wakes up in the morning.

Anyway, after feeding my troops, I put my WRVS hat on, plated him up a roast beef dinner and sticky toffee pudding with custard and we took it up to him. He didn't look too bad so we left him to eat it and went to Housing Units for a look around and a coffee. On the way back we popped back in to pick up the plates and to check on him. 

I know a lot of people couldn't think of anything worse than living on the same street as their in-laws, and although there have been times when we've not seem eye to eye on some things, the pros have definitely outweighed the cons over the years. We certainly benefited from Tom and Joan being up the road when the kids were little and and it's nice now that they need us to be on hand to return the favours. 

It's been a people dropping in sort of weekend, so I've not had the sewing machine out. Amy's friend slept over Friday night, Mum came down Saturday afternoon, then Aunty Edith and Ken popped in for a brew and of course Tom was supposed to be here for lunch. Anyway, I thought I'd give the family a break from the noise but I'll be starting another dress tomorrow.

It's World Book Day at school on Thursday - I hate these dress up days to be honest and Thomas isn't that keen. It'd be much easier (for me), if they took in a book they wanted to read and donated £1 to a charity, but in the spirit of things I have been trawling the internet for ideas. It wasn't long before I found the perfect idea to pilfer and Thomas will be going as Greg from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid, which coincidentally he's reading at the moment.

Anyway, Greg is drawn as a black and white cartoon character and all I need is Thomas' PE kit, long white socks, a rucksack and a piece of card to draw his face on and this is hopefully what he will look like, (I've copied this photo). I just need to buy white socks and the card and voila! Another fancy dress day done and dusted.

                                      

xxx

4 comments:

  1. Tom's back pain might be caused by his cancer. He will want to tell his doctor about it. Sometimes getting up and sleeping in a recliner or propped on the sofa can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Candace, Yes, unfortunately I think you're right. It's not something we want to say to him though but the District Nurse is coming out once a week now so Mark is going to have a word with her about it. Thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope Tom feels more comfortable soon. I'm so glad there were no fancy dress days when my two were at school. The most we had to remember was non uniform day and we didn't always manage to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never remember dressing up at school apart from a fancy hat parade for the Queen's Jubilee in 1977. Back then we didn't wear uniform, just our normal clothes. At least with a uniform once it's bought that's it for the year. It must have driven my mum mad with 4 of us. Give me a non uniform or PJ day any time, they're a breeze. xx

    ReplyDelete