Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Whitley Bay

I've finally booked our third night away at Easter. We've decided to visit Whitley Bay. We've struggled a bit with this third stopover. There have been places that we'd like to visit but nowhere suitable to stay and vice versa, places to stay but nothing we've really wanted to do in the area.

There are a lot of boutique hotels out there that would suit me and Mark perfectly, but quite a lot have 'rules' of no children or no children in their own rooms, which I think is a nice way of saying 'no children'. I don't mind doubling up with the kids at Premier Inn rates but there's no way I'm paying for 2 boutique rooms that would see me and Amy in one bedroom and Mark and Thomas in the other.

Anyway, Whitley Bay it is. The main reason being we want to visit St Mary's Lighthouse which you can walk to via the causeway. This break is turning out to be very water orientated. If you feel up to it you can walk the 137 steps to the top or if not stay at the bottom and have a look around the visitor centre and a coffee in the cafe.  I'm not sure if I'll go up, more a fear of heights than the steps, but just in case I'm putting myself in training and my yardstick will be walking up the stairs 11 times non-stop.











Apparently, it's also a great place to see the Northern Lights although we'd have to be extremely lucky to catch them on the one night of the year we happen to be visiting, but you never know. 

I'm not sure what to expect from Whitley to be honest. I've read very mixed reviews but to be honest we don't have any major expectations. As a family we can be quite easily pleased and a bit of sea, sand, a stroll along the prom and fish and chips is just what we fancy on the last day.  I'm sure Whitley won't disappoint.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment