Well, trying to! I pinned the quilt together last night. Then I read that you can buy adhesive to hold the pieces together which would probably have been a lot easier. But I would have needed to order it on-line which would have meant waiting a few more days and I wanted to get on with it.
So I got the sewing machine out this afternoon and sat down to have a go at stitching in the ditch. Oh Boy! It was much harder than I thought. The material kept moving and 'bubbling' and I had to unpick my first two attempts. Then the quick unpick rolled onto the floor and before I could get to it Wendy stole it. She's taken it upstairs somewhere and I still can't find it.
The safety pins weren't working so I took them all out and tacked the pieces together. By now I was wishing I'd ordered the glue.
It worked a bit better than the pins so then it was a case of getting it under the machine and starting again.
The quilt measures about 3x4 ft and I found it hard to handle so I've no idea how people cope with anything bigger. Maybe it's all down to practise and experience.
Truthfully, I really did not enjoy this part of quilting one bit. I didn't expect it to be perfect but my attempts at stitching in the ditch were terrible, so I just sewed straight lines up and down and even they leave a lot to be desired.
It wasn't so much a sense of achievement I felt today than a sense of relief when it was all over.
I'm only hoping the border will be easier. I'm torn between leaving it for a few days or meeting it head on and trying to get it finished by the end of the weekend. We'll see what happens.