Friday, 2 January 2015

Happy New Year

I'm a day behind, I know, but to everybody who drops by Number 38 'Happy New Year'.

It's 2 years since I found myself in hospital after my heart attack and as I've said before I am forever grateful that I am here. I haven't re-lived it as much as I did last year, the occasional glance at the clock and a mental take of "this time 2 years ago" was about it really.

Our meal went well and we all enjoyed it. The smoked salmon blini is a nice little starter and just enough to get the taste buds going without overfilling anybody.
The brownies were also a big hit as was the beef wellington which I forgot to take a photo of.

I have long since given up making New Year Resolutions, especially those concerning weight loss, but I do have a few things I'd like to achieve this year, including painting that watercolour I promised myself I would do in 2014!

I'd also like to try my hand at lace making. Has anybody ever done this? I'd love to hear how easy/hard it is.

I also want to up the anti in the kitchen. I enjoy cooking but boredom has set in mainly because I've got into the routine of making meals with the children in mind. I'd love to get back into making casseroles, stir-frys and good old fashioned pies. 

We have booked our first trip away, a couple of days on Holy Island/Lindisfarne, Berwick upon Tweed, during the Easter Holidays. The thought of being cut off by the tide for a few hours each day holds a certain appeal to me and Mark at the moment. I'm not sure there will be an extended summer holiday this year, we'll have to see how things pan out. Really, I won't be too bothered. There is so much of our country that I'd like to see I'd be happy to pootle around the UK this year.


I'm hoping the next few days just tick over for us. The children are back to school on Monday and the hospital are ringing on Tuesday to let Mark know when his Dad needs to go in for his first procedure. We are no nearer to finding a home for Mark's mum. Even the 'professionals' have rung some but have drawn a blank. If there are no beds there's not a lot anybody can do and the last thing we want is a home having their arm twisted to take Joan rather than wanting to take her, if that makes sense.

I have a feeling 2015 will be a bumpy ride at points but I'm buckled up and braced for whatever comes our way.

xxx













4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year and very best wishes for reaching your two year milestone. I've given up on making NY resolutions, too, and am more drawn to choosing a 'guiding word' for the year. Not sure what it is yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I love the idea of a guiding word, hope you share it with us on your blog. If I did words I'd have to choose 'Brace Yourselves' for us this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy new year. hope it brings you happy times. you'll love Lindisfarne it's really beautiful. x I found involving the children in the cooking helped me get out of a cooking rut, they wrote a list of all the things they liked, and it couldn't just be sausages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really looking forward to going to Lindisfarne and Amy and Thomas both like the idea of being cut off by the tide. HaHa. I would have to ban sausages and nuggets from Thomas' list. He'd live on them if he could. xx

    ReplyDelete