Friday, 30 January 2015

Dress A Girl Around the World

I've had the sewing machine out again today but I've not been quilting - I'm still psyching myself up for the border. Instead I've made a pillowcase dress for the charity 'Dress A Girl'. After my stitching in the ditch fiasco I needed something that seemed fairly simple to pull off to restore my confidence. 

I chose to make a dress for a 5-6 year old out of a floral pillowcase Tom gave me that I knew I'd never use. The length of dresses vary according to age but this template for the armhole covers ages 5-9.
It was all fairly easy to do. Hem the open end of the pillowcase to the correct length, cut off the top of the pillow case to make the neck and then cut out the armholes.
Turn the neck over and sew so that a piece of elastic can be passed through. Then sew the elastic in place at both ends and work the material along so that it gathers.
It took me about an hour to get to this stage as I kept measuring and re-checking what I was supposed to be doing, but a proficient seamstress could no doubt have it completely finished in half the time. I've ordered some bias binding which goes around the arm holes and is kept long to be used as ties on the shoulder. It actually looks like a sundress doesn't it?
I even added a double pocket by using the flap of the case and sewed some buttons on as a finishing touch because every little girl likes a bow or flower or pretty buttons don't they. Anyway, get me - I've nearly made a dress with a double pocket and buttons. 
I can't wait for the bias binding to arrive so that I can finish it. Mum's an excellent sewer so I've got back up if I struggle with that bit. It was really fun to do and it's nice to know that a little girl somewhere in the world will be wearing it one day.

I'm going to make one for a younger child out of the owl material - I have loads of it left over - slight miscalculation when ordering - so I may as well put it to good use. Then next on my list will be for an older girl as ones for this age group are needed most.

xxx



4 comments:

  1. You've done a really good job there. You'd never guess it started life as a pillowcase and your stitching is so straight! Love the little buttons, too. Your lighthouse picture is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Not sure how the bias binding will go but we'll soon find out! The lighthouse is lovely isn't it. Having done a bit of sewing recently I can really appreciate the effort Josie puts into her pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are becoming quite the seamstress! I love the little dress, it is so pretty. Love the lighthouse, what an amazing job Josie did. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ThanksJanice. I'm pretty OK sewing straight lines but even so there's been a fair bit of unpicking going on today lol. Josie certainly did do a fantastic job. xx

    ReplyDelete