Wednesday, 18 June 2014

France

We're off to France this year for our holidays. The last time I went was when I was 18. It was a camping holiday in the south and we travelled by coach. By the time we arrived my ankles were the size of an elephants and it took nearly a week for them to go down. Suffice to say it wasn't quite my style of holiday and I've never been camping again, although I do have moments where I think I'd quite enjoy glamping.

This time we are heading to Uzes in the Languedoc-Rousillon region to stay in a house with a swimming pool and all the mod cons (indoor toilet and shower - yipee!). According to t'internet Uzes is a medieval town with a population of around 8,000.

    
Today the keys arrived for the place we are staying. We've booked through owners direct which we've done several times before, and I've suddenly become all excited about going.

In preparation for the trip I've been out and bought a phrase book. I know a few french words from my school days - du pain, du vin and du fromage, so we won't die of thirst and hunger - but it is 30 years since I left school so I'll definitely need to brush up on the lingo. 
 I've also been sorting out the travel insurance. I did the search through confused.com (very aptly named for me), and the cover that most suited our needs came in at £59.50 for a family of four. This obviously has to take into account my medical history. 

Just for the 'fun' of it I got a quote without any medical history being declared and it came back at £31.25. I was actually quite surprised at how little difference there was and remember thinking the same last year when we went to Italy. I've no idea where all the scary stories come from about insurance being sky high if you've been ill. 

Tonight I'll be going through our holiday clothes. I don't think any of us need much so I'm hoping it won't cost us more than the price of a couple of new t-shirts and shorts for Amy & Thomas.

Bonsoir mon ami.

xxx


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog and I hope you have a great time in France. France is an amazing country, I have been there a few times myself. Good luck with learning the language. Make sure you try pain au chocolate they are great. Have a good holiday, I hope to read more of your blog in the future.

    Catarina @ Wild Fitness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catarina. I'm glad you enjoy the blog, thank you. We enjoyed France very much although my language skills never did get beyond the basics. We are off to Lanzarote next week so it'll be Spanish then. xx

    ReplyDelete