Saturday, 17 May 2014

Homemade Lemonade

A sunny day calls for homemade lemonade. Amy is usually chief lemonade maker but she's growing up now and wanted to paint her nails instead.

So, after making his rainbow wrap at school yesterday, Thomas is now head grater at Number 38.

It's a simple recipe. 1 cup of water, 1 cup of sugar, 3 lemons. Dissolve the sugar in the water over a low heat. Grate the rind of the lemons, then cut them in half and squeeze out the juice. Add the juice and rind to the dissolved sugar water and then top up with 4 cups of cold water. Delicious. 

Head Grater
 No need for a lemon squeezer. The men of the house have enough muscle power to squeeze every drop out.
Measuring and pouring. Always the best bit.
Delicious.
We don't drink fizzy drinks very often. In fact a bottle of lemonade can be rolling around the fridge for 6 months. But this is lovely and I don't think it'll last very long.

The amount of sugar that goes in here means we don't have this very often which makes it even more of a treat.

xxx

PS. If anybody ever wonders why Thomas is always half naked in the photos he has a thing about clothes or rather not wearing them. He can just about get through a day in school uniform as long as every label has been cut out, but as soon as he gets home it's everything off and a pair of PJ bottoms on. Just thought I'd mention that! xx

2 comments:

  1. My former boss' son is autistic. My boss would occasionally bring his son into the office (ususally to or from an appointment with Easter Seals) and his son was exactly the same about clothing! He would much have preferred to have just his underpants on and that's it! My boss would let Connor 'loose' to sit with me and then Connor would try to do his strip-tease routine - because he just wanted to be comfortable and I think the sensation of the clothing on their skin affects them. But I get why Thomas was always half naked, LOL.
    GADawn57

    P.S. I am going back through all your posts through the years, as I am truly going to miss reading your blog entries in the future. You will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I totally understand how Connor must have felt having experienced this with Thomas. As a little boy he was sound sensitive, then as he grew a little bit older I suppose you would say he was touch sensitive hence the clothing problems. He seems to have grown out of a lot of 'issues' or has just adapted to them as he's gone along but even now he never gets dressed unless he has to and new bedding can also be a problem sometimes. I've just bought his new school shirts and I will wash them several times before term starts so they'll be softened up for him.

      I might go back over the blog myself. Thomas looks so young, I'd forgotten about making lemonade and I've just spied a tin I bought while we were on holiday in Wales. Good memories :)

      Delete