Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Prunes, Post & Ponderings

For some reason Mum is convinced we're going to be snowed in by the end of the week. She's read this on the internet and has gone into 'be prepared' mode. Anyway, without going into too many details she dispatched me to Middleton today to stock up on senokot and prune juice!

I've booked my Christmas delivery slot from Tesco for Monday 23rd between 9am-10am. I thought this would give me plenty of time to buy anything that might not get delivered. My Christmas shop covers Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Anything I need after that I will just go out and buy. In our house, and because of the children, Christmas is a 3 day event. 
My Christmas cards are all written so I gave Thomas the fun job of sticking the stamps on and then we went for a walk to the postbox with Sparky. 
Of course the most important letter was the one to Father Christmas.

I was pondering last night about how exciting Christmas is for children and how, in fact, they don't really experience very many. Amy and Thomas were probably about 3 years old when they first properly grasped the idea of Father Christmas and Amy was nearly 11 when she finally realised the truth. I can still remember how disappointed she was and we actually had tears. That's only 8 Christmases of believing in something really magical. I think Amy would still believe in the big jolly man if it weren't for the fact that I thought she should know the truth before she went to high school. 

Anyway, Thomas is 8 and hopefully we shall have 3 more years of excitement, anticipation, not being able to sleep and 5am wake-ups. I shall treasure each one very much.

I decided to change my password today so that Amy & Thomas can't read anything during December. There's too much to write about and I don't want to talk in code for 3 weeks. It's too mentally challenging for me to be cryptic, I'm just a plain ole tell it as it is kind of gal.

I finished my day in peace and quiet gazing into this candle flame while everybody else was asleep, trying to work up the energy to climb the stairs to my bed.

xxx











No comments:

Post a Comment