Friday, 4 October 2013

Goodbye Mildred

In my post yesterday I briefly mentioned buying some hay for Mildred, our guinea pig. Sadly, this morning she died. Mark had just come home from dropping Amy & Thomas at school when he noticed she was lying on her side in the cage struggling to breathe.

All these pictures were taken yesterday and she ate her food and greens as usual last night, so I think it must have just been her time to go.
I was still in my PJ's when he found her, so while he made a phone call to the vet I quickly got changed. They told us to bring her in straight away and we were there within 10 minutes. 

The cage was cleaned last weekend, she really was a very messy guinea pig and wasn't happy unless her food was all over the place!
The vet took one look at her and decided the only kind thing to do would be to put her to sleep. 

The vet was lovely. She held Mildred while I stroked her and said goodbye. And she asked if we wanted to see her after she had been put to sleep and if the children would like to come in after school to say a final goodbye to her. My answer to both questions was 'No, thank you', but I was quite touched to be asked and I expect for some people being able to see their pet for one last time is of comfort to them.
I'm not ashamed to admit my eyes were a bit watery. We've had her for 5 years and I shall miss her squeaking every time we go into the back garden.
Amy took the news in her stride but Thomas was heartbroken and cried for an hour. He also wanted to know if she'd died of a heart attack. 

Anyway, this post is for you Mildred. Our cute and lovable guinea who has now gone to that great big cage in the sky.

xxx







2 comments:

  1. so sorry to read about the loss of Mildred x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I actually miss her most when I'm chopping veg. She always got a handful and the peelings. xx

    ReplyDelete