Monday, 21 October 2013

Foodbank Shopping List

Today I put together a shopping list for the Trussell Trust foodbank and this is what I came up with.

Coffee
Milk 
Sugar
Orange Juice
Cereal
Jam              
Tuna
Soup
Beans
Tomatoes
Spaghetti
Tinned Meat
Carrots 
Potatoes
Pasta Sauce 
Dried Spaghetti
Peaches
Rice Pudding
Custard
Biscuits 

To be truthful, I haven't really enjoyed doing it. For an idea of cost I looked at Tesco and to get anywhere near £10 I'll have to buy lots of basics ranges which I feel guilty about. It's as though I'm saying 'that's all you're worth'. I've had a look at the blog 'A Girl Called Jack' though and her suggested shopping list features mostly basics, so that puts me more at ease. 

I've read that some people think coffee, juice & biscuits are a luxury, after all there's water in the tap and are biscuits really necessary? But surely people using foodbanks are already at rock bottom and feel stripped of their dignity. I personally think if being able to have a coffee and a biscuit is now deemed indulgent, we're living in an even sadder world than I thought. 

It also feels very strange buying for other people and in a way dictating what they should eat. I'm not sure if people can request what they need from a foodbank or if they're given a standard list of items. Is it a case of lack of money means be grateful for what you get given, even if you don't really like it.

Over the next couple of days I'll be going shopping and I'll let you know how much I actually spend. I have feeling my £10 won't go very far.

xx



                

No comments:

Post a Comment