Friday, 7 June 2013

Shopping - there's just too much choice

I used to shop at TESCO but found my bill was creeping up every week even just for the basics. Choosing home delivery, (so I wasn't tempted to buy extras as I walked round), didn't help either.

So last year we made the switch to LIDL. At first I was a bit unsure if I'd be able to get everything we needed. Mark and Amy will eat anything but Thomas and myself are far more fussy. I've been really impressed though. 

OK, so there's not as much choice as TESCO and choice can be a good thing, but I'd rather spend my time pondering over where to go on holiday, which new top to buy or which book to read, than which baked beans I should buy


                   

The other bonus is there are only 5 aisles in LIDL - heaven.  From start to finish the whole 'experience' only takes one hour of my time and that includes the journey. 

Our weekly bill has been reduced from nearly £100 and rising, to an average of about £75 per week. I know people can feed their family for a lot less but I'm happy with this. This feeds 4 of us breakfast, lunch and dinner for 7 days and covers all our cleaning products and toiletries. On average each meal works out at £3.57 which I don't consider bad.

More often than not there are some 'goodies' in the trolley as well; smoked salmon, olives, a fancy cheese or two, some nice chocolate. These are the things that would have been knocked off my TESCO shop to try and stay within budget. We never seem to run out of anything and there's always plenty of snacks in the cupboard and fresh fruit in the bowl. 
We still eat well, the quality is good, and at the end of the year we will have saved approximately £1,200. Then I get to do the sort of choosing I like; choosing where to spend the savings on a nice little getaway for all the family.

xxx




6 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and have been reading back. Glad you are better now and able to get back to a happy life with your family! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda. I'm getting there slowly but surely. I've just added a new post 'Meet the Family'. When you have a minute, take a look so you can put a face to the name. xx

      Delete
  2. I'd like to shop at Lidl's unfortunately our local one is filthy and it's a bit of a hike to the next nearest one. I'm going to try Aldi's next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is quite new but the old one left a lot to be desired. I'm enjoying this blogging malarky Hester. xx

      Delete
  3. we love our lidl, and the totally bonkers weekly items. chainsaw anyone?
    followed you here from your comment on the philosophy of lists, have loved reading all your back posts, welcome to the world of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. Yes you'd have to shop at Lidl to appreciate the random items on sale. I'm popping over to have a look at your blog tomorrow. xx

    ReplyDelete