Wednesday, 26 June 2013

My idea of heaven would be...

...getting locked in a library. I just absolutely love books. I love browsing through gardening books, cookery books, arts & crafts books and you just can't beat a good novel. Mark has offered to buy me a kindle but I really truly don't want one. I love everything about books; the cover design, the typeface, turning the pages; for me there's nothing quite like the feel of a 'real' book.

I would read all the time to the kids when they were younger and it's something I've always encouraged them both to do. I'm pleased to say they seem to have inherited my love of words.

Amy is a real bookworm. I don't know when she last watched a TV programme but she's always got her nose stuck in a book. Her favourites are Jacqueline Wilson & Cathy Cassidy. The only thing she does which I don't quite understand is read them over and over again. I can't see the point when you know what's coming but it doesn't seem to bother her. She can actually quote whole passages from her favourites.
The only book I've ever read more than once is 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. And I go to the extreme with this book as I've read it at least a dozen times. The first time was in my first year of English Lit O'level back in 1981 (I think) and it's just one of those books that I can read over and over again.
                                          
Mark isn't much of a reader. The only book he ever read through choice as a child was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. About once a year he'll find a book and read it. They generally have to be real life stories about prisons or drugs gangs though.

Thomas is just learning to enjoy picking a book up and reading a few pages by himself. He seems to like Roald Dahl and asked me to buy him Matilda, which I did this morning. On holiday we read The Magic Finger and Fantastic Mr Fox which he bought out of his holiday spends.
I never read Roald Dahl as a child. I was more an Enid Blyton kind of girl. I loved the whole 'it was the first day of the summer hols' ideal. Mark says I should have been born in the 50's in a village. The Secret Seven and Famous Five adventures were my favourites, with a bit of Mr Twiddle thrown in. I also loved the Faraway Tree series with moon-face, silky the fairy, the saucepan man & dame washalot.  Anybody remember those?          
As I 'matured' (all of 13 or 14!), I moved on to Danielle Steel. I can still remember discussing the sexy bits with my friends and thinking how grown up we all were! It was a long time before I realised what oral sex really was though - we all thought it was dirty talk! Then for years I would entertain nothing but autobiographies. These days I'll read pretty much anything but I always like to have a book on the go.

And as there's absolutely no realistic chance of ever being locked in a library I just have my own stash on the bedside cabinet. You can't beat a bit of a read at the end of the day.
So that's my idea of heaven. I wonder what yours would be? And what's everybody reading? Any recommendations?


xxx








4 comments:

  1. Sounds like heaven to me too Suzanne. I'm an audio book fan and can listen to favourites over and over. One of my favourite books to actually read is In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden which is about life in an enclosed monastery of nuns. I find it compelling even though I am not religious at all. I also really enjoyed Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel and I loved Ann Cleeves' Shetland books (crime).

    I've just discovered a comment you left on my blog a few days ago. It was in the spam folder -why? No idea! Anyway I've published it if you'd like to look. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely give In This House of Brede a go, it sounds just my sort of thing. I love a good book recommendation. Thanks xx

      Delete
  2. I have a stash of books by the bed, too. (Also have a Kindle but that's just for holiday reading.) Joanne Harris is a favourite of mine (especially Chocolat) but I find these days I'm drawn to psychological thrillers and crime fiction. (Can recommend Louise Penny's books.) Agree that To Kill A Mockingbird just has to be read over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had a look at Chocolat on Amazon, sounds good. I still have some birthday money left over. I can see it won't last long with all these recommendations :-) xx

    ReplyDelete