Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Medication Time, A Bargain & Feeling RIch...

Have you ever seen 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest' with Jack Nicholson?  It's brilliant and definitely ranks in my top 5 films. We've had some serious illness in our family over the years and announcing 'Medication Time' always raises a smile in those of us who've seen the film, (video clip at end of post).

Today, I made my monthly visit to the pharmacy where I picked up this little lot. According to the professionals, combined with a healthy diet and exercise, these should help keep my heart tick-tocking and in tip-top condition. I pray every day this will be the case.



I take 8 tablets each day, 3 in the morning and 5 at night and I can also have a glug of gaviscon and a spray of nitroglycerin if I need to.


There are 8 items on my script and if I paid for each one it would cost me £62.80 every month.  Over a year that would be £753.60. If I'm lucky enough to be granted my 3 score year and 10, my tablet popping over the next 24 years would cost me a whopping £18,086.40, and that's without any price increases.

Alternatively, I could buy a prescription pre-payment certificate (PPC) every 3 months for £29.10. This covers me for as many items as I need and after 24 years my total spend would be £2,793.60. A massive saving which is not to be sniffed at.

But like most people I like a really good bargain. So instead, I buy the 12 month certificate which costs £104. Over 24 years this adds up to a grand total of £2,496.

I was told about the PPC by the cardio nurse in hospital, but I've since spoken to a couple of people I know who are on tablets for life who didn't know anything about it, so I'm not sure how widely publicised it is.


So, today I'm feeling rich. Rich because I'm still here to work out the best deals and rich because in theory, if I do make it to 70 I should be £15,590.40 better off.   


One flew over the cuckoo's nest.  Released 1975.

             





No comments:

Post a Comment